The Indiana University South Bend Campus Police Department uses the following dispositions for case reports and investigations as defined in the Federal Bureau of Investigations Crime Reporting Handbook (UCR).
- Arrest-When a person is arrested; charged with the commission of the offense; and turned over to the court for prosecution.
- Exceptional- A clearance in which some element beyond law enforcement control prevents filing of formal charges against the offender.
- Unfounded-A complaint which is determined through investigation to be false or baseless.
- Administrative-A complaint which is reviewed and determined to be non-criminal in nature.
Other dispositions include:
- Inactive-A complaint which has been investigated, but currently lacks sufficient information to determine who committed the crime.
- Active - Case under investigation.
- Referred - A judicial referral for rules violations.
- Referred to outside agency - Report sent to outside agency with jurisdictional responsibility